A long time ago, from 1995 – 2006, our first blog led the way in Australia for food blogging. There wasn’t the technology available then and we hand coded each post. There weren’t any photographs, and recipes were inserted into long html files, one by one. Each month, I would make suggestions for breakfast dishes to inspire people to branch out from cereal, eggs and toast. These days I am vegetarian, so I cannot bring you all of them, but here are a few suggestions that have stood the test of time.
Rather Retro Breakfast Inspiration
- Freshly squeezed orange juice, muesli mixed generously with yoghurt, freshly brewed coffee and hot croissants with French Fig Jam
- Home Made Focaccia with mushrooms cooked in a dash of red wine. Start with fruche (old fashioned but delightful), fresh orange juice, and strong coffee
- Focaccia with black olive paste, eggplant pickles, cumquat marmalade and bluegum honey
- Croissants, warmed (NOT TOASTED), with fresh butter and jam. TEAR the croissant (DON’T cut it in half). Tear off small pieces, put a little jam on the piece, and eat.
- Baguette, black coffee by the pot full, yoghurt, grapefruit juice and jam.
- Oven Baked Tomatoes, fresh bread still warm and croutons of blue cheese.
- Add a splash of cognac to Tapenade and serve on hot toast.
- Hot crumpets, topped with Hot Tomato Cream Salsa and chopped salty olives.
- Grapes in Autumn are divine. Halve them and scatter over your meusli with yoghurt and toasted slivered almonds.
- Butter a pan, and place a bread slice in the pan. Cook for a few minutes and then turn the bread over. Yum. Serve with sliced tomato, or sauteed greens, or pan fried mushrooms, or topped with a slice of mozzarella cheese, or …. YUM!
- Mulberries soaked in sugar and a French Mulberry Liqueur.
- Strawberries fresh from the garden, eaten with the fingers while sitting under a grapevine in the early morning sun.
- Sweet bananas sauteed in butter, popped onto toast, (or toast topped with strawberries fresh from the garden), with caster sugar and a drizzle of liqueur.
- Pears, poached in a sugar syrup, cut into chunks, rolled in muesli, and served with cream. Pure indulgence.
- Make your own Fig Jam in Autumn, and lather over hot crumpets, top with runny cream.