Inspirational Thoughts on Olive Oil
If I am not using ghee or the occasional bit of Indian Sesame Oil or Indian Mustard Oil, then a great, pungent, green olive oil serves to transport a dish to a heavenly place. A thread of such a beautiful oil, given to me by my accountant, will be drizzled over the soup tonight. It got me thinking about other ways olive oil can be used.
- Cook a la Grecque – in a mixture of stock and olive oil – for wonderful vegetables. See recipes here and here.
- Try it drizzled over hot, freshly cooked chickpeas, with some celtic sea salt, and try to stop eating them! The smell of the oil on the hot peas is amazing.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over hot soups.
- Sear some radicchio in olive oil very quickly with some chopped olives. Serve with a little more olive oil on top to moisten.
- Grill thick slices of bread over a char grill, rub slices with half a peeled clove of garlic and drizzle with the best olive oil that you can find. A real treat. Add some celtic sea salt for a salty tang.
- Instead of using butter, drizzle olive oil over bread slices before making toastie sandwiches.
- Dip bread into olive oil and then into a spiced nut mix like dukkah.
- Make flavoured oils like chilli oil, mandarin oil (with mandarin peels), garlic oil.
- Cook pasta, drain, mix with diced tomatoes, a diced fresh red chilli, diced black olives and heaps of olive oil. Simple and the best.
Feel free to browse other recipes from our Retro Recipes series.
We are so fortunate that we live in a world with evo! And that gives us days like today. A perfect Spring day.
From the Spring Series
- Peppers and Eggplants – Grilled and Oiled
- Zucchini Curry to Die For
- Simple Cucumber Salad
- Tomato Salad
- Simple approaches
- Stir fried Mung Bean Sprouts
- Thick Yoghurt Tahina Dip with Herbs
- Yoghurt and Rosepetals
- Zahtar and Dukkah