I adore sugar flavoured with buddleah flowers. This is my favourite one, and my favourite use is in fruit salad.
Aside from flowers, you can also use lemon peel, orange peel, mandarin peel, lemon grass, lemon verbena, broken up cinnamon sticks, rose petals — you are only limited by your imagination. Make sure that they are spray and other chemical free before using, and that they are not poisonous blooms or leaves.
Use wherever the flavour will complement. Over fruit (baked, raw, fruit salad). In icecream. In plain biscuits or cakes, …. in jam, …..
|1 vanilla bean, or 8 lavender flowers, or 1 buddleah flower, or a handful of rose petals, or any other non-toxic (and non-sprayed) flowers||2 cups caster sugar|
Mix the flowers and the sugar together in a screw-top jar. Store for 1 – 2 weeks or more, shaking occasionally. Sieve through a strainer before using.
You might like to read:
- Ingredients: A Note on Avocados
- Spice Advice: Ajwain Seeds aka Carom
- Spice Advice: A Note on Allspice
- Spice Advice: A Word about Anise and Star Anise
- Spice Advice: A Note on Two Types of Bayleaf
- Ingredients: Almonds, Sweet and Bitter
- Spice Advice: Asafoetida (Devil’s Dung)
- Ingredients: A Note on Aubergines
- Spice Advice: A Note on Basil
- Ingredients: A Note on Bananas, Banana Flowers, Banana Skins and Banana Leaves