There is a huge variety of tomatoes available, especially during winter. To get the best flavour from tomatoes, this is what I do:
- In Autumn, when tomatoes are at their best, freeze tomatoes for use in dishes over winter – whole tomatoes can be frozen, and pastes, sauces, purees and juices freeze easily. Click on this post for a range of recipes and tips for freezing tomatoes.
- For recipes that use tomatoes as an underlying flavour base – soups, stews, curries, etc – a good, home made tomato paste, sauce or puree is much better than using inferior fresh tomatoes..
- If you can’t get hold of a good fresh or frozen tomatoes, use good quality tinned whole plum tomatoes rather than inferior fresh tomatoes.
Another way of enhancing tomato flavour is to use some fresh tomatoes supplemented with home made tomato paste.
- And a tip for all year around: If the tomatoes are a little on the tart side, add a little sugar to counteract the tartness. Use brown sugar or jaggery for additional earthy flavours if this will complement the dish. Use white when lighter flavours are required, or in lighter coloured dishes.
browse some Tomato recipes
- Semi Dried Tomatoes with Pomegranate
- The Simplest Spaghetti
- Spicy Rustic Red Lentil Soup with Thick Thick Yoghurt
- Stewed Parsley