Roasted Potatoes, quite a delight in this untypically cool January. Easy to make, and great if you get them right.
Take about a kilo of floury potatoes and peel them, then cut them into large chunks. While the oven heats to 200C, place the potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and cook for about 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and leave them to steam dry in the hot but dry pan for about another 5 minutes. This preparation will be worth it!
Your oven will be heated well and truly by now. Toss the potatoes around in the saucepan to rough up the exterior of the potatoes. Drizzle in in 3Tblspns of olive oil and toss the potatoes to cover. Place in a HOT roasting pan and crumble plenty of flaky salt over the top. Roast for 15 minutes, stir well, then roast for another 45 minutes, stirring once more during cooking.
Serve immediately with a hot curry and some spicy green beans.
- Crush a tspn of coriander seeds and a tspn of cumin seeds and add to 1tspn turmeric powder. Sprinkle over the potatoes when you add the oil and toss the potatoes around in it. Continue as above.
- Roast the potatoes for about 40 minutes. Add a lemon that has been halved and then sliced and 4 or 5 springs of rosemary. Stir the potatoes around and continue to roast until cooked.
Feel free to browse recipes from our Retro Recipes series. You might also like our “How To” information here. Or you might like to browse our Ingredients information here. Check out our easy Potato recipes here and here. We have our Winter recipes here and here.
browse some Potatoes recipes
- Aloo do Payaja: Peasant Onions with Potatoes
- Aloo Gobi – Indian Cauliflower and Potato Curry
- Arai Puli Kuzhambu (Mildly Sour “Soup”): A Wet and Tangy Vegetable Curry with Eggplant and Potato
- Aloo Palak – Potatoes in Spinach Gravy